Friday, September 5, 2008

Week 5 Day 3

Holy cow. Good freak'n workout... I'm winded and tired. While I didn't quite complete the schedule, at least I didn't screw up the workout today:-).

Program: 18,18,16,16,14,14,12,max (at least 40)
Actual: 18,18,16,16,14,14,12,20
Daily Total: 128
Overall Total: 2067

Today was really tough, so I'm wondering how I did 150 yesterday. Maybe I screwed something up, or maybe I was just so awesome yesterday that I rocked! I'm going with option 2.

So looking at this workout, I first noticed it was actually less then yesterday's requirements. That felt good, but i was quick to learn that the 30 sec break really matters. We used to get 120 seconds (those were the good old days).

After doing the first three sets(18,18,16), I had to pause on the second set of 16. The first set of 14 was tough, and I had to pause there too.

The next two sets (14 & 12) were really hard. I ended up having to count them one by one, after about half way through. Almost didn't finish the last of the 12. (come on, it's only 12 right?)

I took a little bit longer than the 30 seconds to rest before attempting the 40 and managed to get half of them. Ouch were my arms screaming.

You know what I struggle with? Breathing. I know. It shouldn't be that complicated with the "breath in" and "breath out" thing. But I have a heck of a time not holding my breath, and I struggle with a rhythm. Generally I breath out going down and in pushing up, but it's not a comfortable paced breathing. (gasping for air)

I think that in order to do a hundred pushups, breathing comfortably is something I've got to get better at. Today's workout helped. The lack of rest introduced a cardio aspect to the workout. Give me a few more weeks repeating week 5 and maybe I'll figure it out.

Suggestions welcome.

2 comments:

BM said...

I had a not-so-great W5D3 workout, partly becasue I put more weight on left hand than right hand. Is that something you are doing in your workout?

Joe Scherb said...

I don't notice my weight shifting around (one hand to another) so much.

But I do notice more pain in one arm or another sometimes, so that's probably what's happening.