Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Week 5 Day 2

I was right. The change in frequency/pace of this workout made it interesting. So did the fact that I did it outdoors, on my deck, while I grilled chicken. You'd be surprised at all of the little things that have fallen through the slats of my deck. ;-)

Program: 20,20,18,18,15,15,14,max (at least 40)
Actual: 20,20,18,18,15,15,14,14,16
Daily Total: 150
Overall Total: 1939

I got through the first three sets fairly unscathed, although I slowed a bit at the end of the 1st set of 18.

I had to pause during the second set of 18 and again during the first set of 15. Then things got really tough. I had to really grit out the next set of 15.

I managed to get through the next two sets by telling myself "it's only 14". It was still hard. And in case you haven't noticed; I'm such a dork. I did two sets of 14 instead of only the one required.

There was no confidence in heading into the final set of 40, for good reason. I was wiped out. Sure, now I realize it might have been because of the extra set. I only managed 16.

But overall it was a really good workout. I completed a lot of pushups today, and blew away my previous best. Hopefully I can keep that up on Friday and again as I try for W5 repeat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Joe - very solid workout!

If it's any consolation, I did exactly the same thing with the single set of 14:

http://www.runbulldogrun.com/push-ups/hundred-push-ups-week-5-day-2/

(even more embarrassing, as it's my web site!)

Keep up the great work!

--Steve

BM said...

I had to smile... when you realized that you did one extra set of pushups. That must have killed your arms. Otherwise you might have somehow made the final set.

Just curious.... How much time did you spend on the workout, do you do this at a fast pace in the initial sets or do you do them slowly?

Joe Scherb said...

I try to stick to the time limit given in the program. It's be 60, 90, or 120 seconds. But today it was only 45 seconds between sets.

As far as my speed actually doing the pushups I get aggressive and go as fast and hard as possible.

I don't spend much time with arms locked "resting" between pushups during a set. It think it burns energy.

my thoughts anyway.