Monday, September 15, 2008

Week 5 Day 1 - Repeat 2

The frustration is definitely there. A few weeks ago I managed 150 pushups during one workout. So I set my mind to doing it again today. I'd hit the 150 mark again.

I did this as a way of trying to get "break through" improvement instead of one to two pushups better.

Didn't help.

Program: 40,32,30,25, max (at least 40)
Actual: 40,32,15,21, 16
Daily Total: 124

Only two pushups more than last week. Arg. While I had hoped to get through week 5 this week, I'm not even close to finishing this workout. Oh well, I'll shoot for 150 tomorrow.

The run down;
  • The first 40 fell fairly quickly, but again this week I started slowing down on the last 10. I also felt the stress (slight pain) in my right shoulder.
  • The next 32 were really tough, and I ended the set by counting them out one-by-one.
  • My arms were burnt out at this point, so I did a wimpy 15 pushups.
  • I rested a bit more between sets and managed 21 on the third. This saved me from having a really low count for the day.
  • Only managed 16 on the last set before my arms just gave out (face plant).
So, again, it's kind of sad that I didn't make much progress since last week.

I'll blame part of it on this cold. I'm not completely out of it, but I'm much better. It'll serve as my excuse anyway; "I'm sure the cold is sapping huge amounts of energy from my pushup capabilities."

I'll wait a couple of weeks, but I'm already thinking that I'll need to supplement the program if I don't start making a couple of good breakthrough workouts.

This one hurt my arms enough that I should get some benefit out of it. Ouch.

4 comments:

BM said...

It's got to be the cold... Just be patient, you will get there, you already can do 50 pushups.

Just a suggestion... do an exhaustion at the end of week 5 even if you are not successful. It would encourage you to see some progress.

BM said...

Joe..

Did you get a chance to look at the modified six week pushup challenge? What do you think

Joe Scherb said...

I looked at it and see he's changed it, but I'm not sure why. I didn't see any obvious reason so I posted to Steve's blog asking why he changed it.

BTW. I could analyze the snot out of the program. It's something I do. Analyze data, look for patterns, and understand how things work. Sometimes it's better not to know too much, so I haven't bothered.

Let's see what Steve shares.

BM said...

Well... what I did not like about the original plan was the huge jump from W4D3 to W5D1. After that W5D2 and W5D3 have less number of pushups than than W5D1. The new plan nicely progresses from one week to another and from one day to another, adding pushups as you go along.